Born 12 February 1941, Ringmer, Sussex.
Died 26 September 2019, Beckenham, Kent
William, later known as Bill, studied at Brighton College of Art from 1959-1963, and at the Slade School of Art from 1963-1965.
From 1965-1981, he was visiting tutor at Winchester School of Art, Chelsea College of Art and at the Faculty of Fine Art, South Glamorgan Institute, Cardiff.
From 1981-2002, he was a Senior Lecturer in Fine Art at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design.
Bill Henderson has paintings in many public collections including Tate Britain, the V&A, the Arts Council of England, The Contemporary Art Society, The European Parliament and The Qingdao Art Museum, China.
During his career as an artist he exhibited in shows such as the Hayward Annual, the Serpentine Summer Show, The Royal Academy Summer Shows and the John Moores Liverpool Exhibition. His paintings have been exhibited in the United States, China and Europe.
- 1990 The London Group
- 2007 Royal Watercolour Society
- 2007 2nd Prize – St Cuthberts Mill Award, Royal Watercolour Society, London
- 1987 Athena Art Award – Barbican Art Gallery, London
- 1983 Prize Winner – Tolly Cobbold Eastern Arts 4th Annual Exhibition, Cambridge
- 1979 Mention Special du Jury – 11eme Festival de la Peinture, Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
- 1976 The Arts Council of England, Arts Council Nominee
Paintings in Public Collections
- Arnolfini Collection, The Arnolfini Art Gallery, Bristol
- Arts Council of Great Britain
- Bradford City Art Gallery and Museum
- British Land Collection
- Cocoa Merchants, London
- Leeds City Art Gallery
- Leicestershire Education
- Mobil Oil Collection, Mobil House London
- Westminster Bank Collection
- Pearl Assurance
- Qingdao Museum, China
- Tate Britain
- The Victoria and Albert Museum (Prints)
- The Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester
- 2022 MOMA Machynlleth (Paintings with Woven Responses by Vicky Ellis)
- 2016 Cello Factory Gallery, London
- 2015 Bankside Gallery, London
- 2007 APT Gallery, Deptford London
- 1991 Gardner Arts Centre, Brighton
- 1983 Mid-term Retrospective, Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol
- 1979, 1980 & 1982 Birksted Gallery, London
- 2022 ‘Hidden’, Flowers Gallery, London
- 2017 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London
- 2016 /17 International Watercolour Biennale, Qingdao Museum, Qingdao, China
- 2012 New Possibilities: Abstract Paintings from the Seventies, The Piper Gallery, London
- 2008 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London (also: 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2005)
- 2003 Hunting Art Prizes, Royal College of Art, London
- 1982 Contemporary Choice, Contemporary Art Society, Serpentine Art Gallery, London
- 1982 Birksted Gallery, New York
- 1979 Hayward Annual Exhibition, Hayward Art Gallery, Southbank, London
- 1978 ‘Tendences Nouvelles’, Brussels
- 1975 Serpentine Summer Show, No.3, Serpentine Art Gallery, London
- 1972 ‘Drawing’, Museum of Modern Art, Oxford
- 1970 &1974 John Moores Liverpool Exhibition, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool