Bill Henderson was born in Ringmer, Sussex in 1941. He studied at Brighton College of Art from 1959-1963, and at the Slade School of Art from 1963-1965.
From 1965-1981, Bill was a visiting tutor at Winchester School of Art, Chelsea College of Art and at the Faculty of Fine Art, South Glamorgan Institute, Cardiff.
From 1981-2002, he was a Senior Lecturer in Fine Art at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design.
Bill Henderson has paintings in many public collections including Tate Britain, the V&A, the European Parliament, the Arts Council of England and the Contemporary Art Society.
During his career as an artist he has exhibited in shows such as the Hayward Annual, The Serpentine Summer Show, The Royal Academy Summer Shows and the John Moores Liverpool Exhibition. His paintings have been exhibited in the U.S. and Europe.
- 1941 Born 12 February, Ringmer, Sussex.
- 1959 – 1963 Brighton College of Art, Brighton, Sussex.
- 1963 – 1965 Slade School of Fine Art, University College, London.
- 1965 – 1981 Visiting tutor at Winchester School of Art, Chelsea College of Art and South Glamorgan Institute Cardiff (Faculty of Fine Art).
- 1981 – 2002 Senior Lecturer in Fine Art, School of Art, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
- Member of the Royal Watercolour Society (RWS)
- Member of the London Group.
- 1990 The London Group
- 2007 Royal Watercolour Society
- 2007 2nd Prize – St Cuthberts Mill Award. (Sanderson/Bockingford)
- 1987 Athena Art Award – Barbican Art Gallery
- 1983 Prize Winner – Tolly Cobbold Eastern Arts 4th Annual Exhibition
- 1979 Major Award – Mention Speciale – 11eme Festival de la Peinture, Cagnes- sur- Mer Nice France.
The Arts Council of England, Arts Council Nominee.
Paintings in Public Collections
- Arnolfini Collection. The Arnolfini Art Gallery, Bristol.
- Arts Council of Great Britain
- Bradford City Art Gallery and Museum.
- British Land Collection.
- Cocoa Merchants, London.
- Leicestershire Education
- Mobil Oil Collection. Mobil House, London
- Westminster Bank Collection.
- Pearl Assurance.
- Tate Britain, London.
- The Victoria and Albert Museum, (Prints) London
- The Whitworth Art Gallery. Manchester
- 2022 MOMA Machynlleth (Paintings with Woven Responses by Vicky Ellis)
- 2016 Cello Factory Gallery, London
- 2015 Bankside Gallery, London
- 2007 APT Gallery, Deptford, London
- 1991 Gardner Arts Centre, Brighton
- 1983 Mid-term Retrospective, Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol
- 1982 Birksted Gallery, London, 1980 Birksted Gallery London, 1979 Birksted Gallery, London
- 2022 ‘Hidden’, Flowers Gallery, London
- 2017 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition London
- 2016 /17 International Watercolour Biennale, Qingdao Museum, Qingdao, China
- 2012 New Possibilities: Abstract Paintings from the Seventies, The Piper Gallery, London
- 2008 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition (also: 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2005)
- 2003 Hunting Art Prizes, Royal College of Art, London
- 1982 Contemporary Choice, Contemporary Art Society Exhibition, Serpentine Art Gallery, London
- 1982 Birksted Gallery New York
- 1979 Hayward Annual Exhibition, Hayward Art Gallery, Southbank, London
- 1975 Serpentine Summer Show, No.3 Serpentine Art Gallery, London
- 1970 &1974 John Moores Liverpool Exhibition, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool